Yoghurt with rennetYou are here: yogurt recipe > Yogurt with rennet
Yogurt recipe with rennet
We will present you the recipe of homemade yogurt with rennet.
What is rennet
Rennet is the substance used to curd milk for cheese.
The active substance in rennet is a proteolytic digestive enzyme called Chymosin. It serves the young animal to curd the milk in his stomach; the cheese maker will therefore use it for these purposes. Chymosin attacks a specific fraction of milk proteins (casein Kappa) and destroys them. This destabilizes the structure of the milk, thus causing coagulation.
It is for this active principle that rennet is sometimes used in the composition of yoghurts as a ferment. But in general, rennet is used to make faisselle type white cheese, for yoghurt, it is necessary to use lactic ferments.
If you use rennet for home yogurt too liquid try milk powder, 1 to 2 tablespoons should be suitable to firm your yogurt.
Ingredients for rennet yogurt
To make your yogurt with rennet here is the list of ingredients to gather to succeed your home recipe:
- 1 liter of whole milk
- 5 drops of rennet which can be in liquid form, in powder form (high concentration) or in liquid paste form. Rennet can be found in pharmacy or internet of course
- 1 yogurt nature
Preparation of yoghurt for home rennet
To make his homemade yogurt with rennet here is the procedure to follow:
- mix yoghurt with a little milk in a bowl, add rennet
- heat the remaining milk in a saucepan and add it to the preparation
- fill your yoghurt jars with your mixture
- place in yoghurt for the manufacture of rennet yoghurt.
You now know how to make yogurt with rennet at home.